Te'o v. Trudeau Corporation (America) Inc., et al.

Posted: 02/15/2008  browse the case archive

On February 15, 2008, citizen enforcer Jamie Te'o and settling defendant Trudeau Corporation (America) Inc. ("Trudeau") entered into an out-of-court Settlement Agreement, which resolved Te'o's allegations that Trudeau sold glassware with colored artwork or designs on the exterior containing the heavy metal lead in the State of California without providing the requisite health hazard warnings.

As part of the settlement, Trudeau agreed not to sell any glassware in California after February 15, 2008, unless the glassware has Proposition 65 warnings provided or contains no more than 0.06 percent of lead in the decorating materials and no detectable lead in the lip-and-rim area when analyzed using state or federally approved testing methodologies.

The monetary relief sought under the terms of this settlement agreement amounts to $20,250 in civil penalties and reimbursement of fees for Te'o's counsel and investigative professionals. Following the execution of the Settlement Agreement, The Office of Environmental Health and Hazard Assessment received 75% of the civil penalties and the remaining 25% was remitted to Te'o.

The Settlement Agreement requires settlement payments of $20,250, divided therein between civil penalties, 75% of which are paid to California's Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment, and compensation to whistleblower Te'o and his counsel for their successful enforcement of this matter in the public interest.

Download PDF

It appears your Web browser is not configured to display PDF files. No worries, just click here to download the PDF file.